Friday 17 January 2014

Another New Year for our VSS group ...........

A belated Happy New Year to you all.  It's been a bit of a hectic week for me, so I'm a bit late with our first blog of the year!
 Despite all sorts of illnesses going around here and some regular members still away on holidays , eighteen of our regular members were keen to get back into their creative zones this Tuesday.
After a general show-and-tell amongst ourselves and a  chat about what we had been doing since our last meeting, we had a more formal discussion concerning a few changes to Group membership, which have been needed for some time as the we are growing in size, and about plans for this coming year for the Group.  Members are keen to take part in the making of a Group quilt to be raffled to raise funds for charity and a general discussion ensued about our forthcoming exhibition in the Autumn.  Dates and the venue will be announced once confirmed with the relevant parties.
It was great to see Helen with us again seen here with Yvonne and Jill


I forgot to ask Jill why she is standing up crocheting. Each time I looked across at her she was busy making a long crochet chain but was standing up doing it!

Carole turning up trousers for a change, instead of doing her usual patchwork

Kath setting up the new library service

Margaret, Gladys, Sue and Sheila knitting and chatting

Margaret brought in two projects she has been working on and says they were a lot kinder to her fingers than the topsy-turvy dolls which she had been making, as they used much bigger needles.


This thick jacket still needs it's toggles and the fish bellow needs his eyes, then they'll be complete


HelenH has been making cushion covers for her niece (I think I have that right!) and herself.


Above and below one side of one of Helen's cushions


One of a pair of cushion's for Helen's niece

I brought in one of my current projects to show members.  While I should have been working on the Creative Sketchbook course I am taking part in on the Internet, run by The Kemshalls, instead I have been working on an applique wall hanging over the Holiday period.  I have incorporated fabric painted leaves and used Inktense crayons, (which act like watercolour when water and fabric medium are added), to the fabric appliqued flower shapes to give them some depth.  All the fabrics used are some of my own hand-dyed fabrics.   I used a design and layout for the upper irises made available by The Kemshalls , but the jug and lower flower stem are my own additions to the original design  

This is my hanging with all the paint and Inktense crayon work heat set with the iron, ready to be layered up with wadding and a backing


The iris above is fussy-cut from one piece of fabric, then the petal outlines and shadows have been added with Inktense crayons to give the flower some definition, as seen in the photo below.  They appear different colours because I took one photo with artificial light at night and the other in daylight.  I'm no photographer!!


I have really enjoyed this way of working, mixing traditional applique with art materials, and intend using more of  my ice-dyed fabrics in this way on future projects.
Yvonne brought in her framed silk ribbon embroidery, made during a recent workshop taught by Elle.



While Christine works on her Row-by-Row project in the background, Pam showed me some of the denim fabrics cut and ready to be used in her latest quilt project.  Pam is asking for donations of  denim please, it can be old jeans, or denim shirts from anyone who has them stashed away.  All donations will be gratefully received by Pam.  Pam intends backing the quilt with flannel or warm brushed cottons in place of regular patchwork cotton fabric.
Next week the Row-by-Row workshop led by Christine will continue, and I for one will be continuing my silk ribbon workshop with Elle in between taking photos for the next blog!  
Until then, have a good week, don't forget to check into our Group website where members galleries are updated regularly and at present there is a new video to watch.  Hope to see you next time.
                                                                                                                                        Rachel














No comments:

Post a Comment